Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) is basically a bacterial infection in your urinary tract system. UTI is common among women and is one of the most prevalent causes of death that can lead to high hospital expenses. It may seem like a superficial infection at first, but without proper treatment and prolonging UTI, it can cause harmful diseases affecting other parts of your body. Typical symptoms include pain or burning while urinating, frequent urination, bloody urine, etc.
The best way to treat Urinary Tract Infection is via antibiotics. As per the African Journal of Microbiology Research, Amoxicillin is the second most effective antibiotic that helps in treating UTIs. Amoxicillin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. It belongs to the penicillin class of drugs, and its brand name is Amoxil. Amoxicillin is the only prescribed medicine used to treat certain bacterial infections in UTIs and various diseases. It does not treat viral infection.
Forms And Strengths
Amoxicillin is available in the form of a tablet, chewable tablet, capsule, and also injections. Injections are primarily given in hospitals only in case of a severe condition.
|Tablet||500 mg or 875 mg|
|Chewable Tablet||125 mg or 250 mg|
|Capsule||250 mg or 500 mg|
|Oral Suspension(liquid)||125 mg per 5 ml, 250 mg per 5 ml
200 mg per 5 ml, 400 mg per 5 ml
Dosage Of Amoxicillin For Treatment Of UTIs
The dosage depends on the specific type of bacteria you are infected with. Each bacteria responds differently. Here is the general dosage guide:
Mild to moderate infection
- 500 mg every 12 hours
- 250 mg every 8 hours
- 875 mg every 12 hours
- 500 mg every 8 hours
The maximum dosage should be 1,750 mg per day for UTIs.
How To Take Amoxicillin?
- Take the medication as directed, don’t make it more or less.
- Don’t crush or chew the tablet or capsule; swallow it directly with water.
- In the case of oral liquid, shake or mix the oral juice well before using it and measure it with the help of a medicine cap, as household spoons don’t specify the correct quantity.
- You can consume the oral liquid with fruit juice, milk, water, etc.
- You may take this medication with or without food.
- You should complete the entire course of medication, or the bacteria may grow again, leading to a more severe infection.
How Long Does Amoxicillin Take to Work On A UTI?
Amoxicillin works by killing the bacteria and stopping their growth of bacteria. You will start feeling better in a few hours. It will take 4 to 5 days for Amoxicillin to show effect ultimately. It is essential to finish the medication course even if you feel good.
Is Amoxicillin Good For UTI?
By the user review, the medication has an overall rating of 6.8 out of 10 from 37 ratings for urinary tract infection.60% show positive feedback, and 40% show negative feedback.
So yes, Amoxicillin is very effective in UTIs as it shows immediate effects on the body and kills the bacteria. It is used for UTIs and many viral infections, including skin, chest, ear, etc. It is available at an affordable price and is easy to use.
What If Amoxicillin Doesn’t Work For UTI?
If Amoxicillin is not responding to your infection, further tests will be done, and the doctor will analyse the bacteria causing the infection. Your doctor will recommend another antibiotic suitable for your condition.
Amoxicillin Side Effects
Common side effects of Amoxicillin include:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Upset stomach
- Vaginal itching
- Vaginal discharge
- Abnormal taste sense
Severe side effects of Amoxicillin include:
- Allergic reactions like hives
- Itching and swelling on the face, lips, or tongue.
- Yellowing of eyes or skin
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Dark-coloured urine
- Painful urination
- Unusual bleeding
- Unusual urination
- Upper stomach pain
- Watery or bloody stools.
Essential Considerations Before Taking Amoxicillin
- Appraise the doctor for your entire medical history
- If the symptoms don’t improve and worsen, you may need an alternative medicine.
- There is no need to follow a proper diet plan; you can eat or drink normally while taking the drug.
- If you overdose or miss the dose, you should take it as fast as you remember.
- Store capsule and tablets at a suitable room temperature away from heat and light
- Store oral suspension in the refrigerator at room temperature, don’t freeze the liquid.
- Keep the medication away from children and pets.
This medication is given in a course form, and once the course is completed, the infection should get cleared. As such, a refill is generally not required for this medication.
Amoxicillin does not make you drowsy, so you can drive and cycle even after consuming this medicine. Initially, you may suffer from loss of appetite and weakness in the body. This may hamper your travel plans. So long as you feel healthy, you can travel even if you are on Amoxicillin.
What Are The Alternatives To Amoxicillin?
- Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim (Bactrim)
- Fosfomycin For UTIs
- Nitrofurantoin for UTIs
- Ciprofloxacin for UTIs
- Ceftriaxone for UTIs
- Cephalexin for UTIs
- Levofloxacin for UTIs
- Doxycycline for UTIs
Amoxicillin is a medication that helps treat bacterial infections for UTIs and various conditions, including skin, stomach, ear, and chest infections. With proper recommendation and method by your doctor and taking necessary precautions, Amoxicillin should work in treating UTIs. Please be advised to continue and complete your treatment plan given by your doctor after consultation, even when you feel good after a few days. This is to prevent any possible and continuous growth of bacteria in your urinary tract system. Generally, Amoxicillin is widely prescribed for UTI treatments that are easy to use and is available at an affordable price.