Is azithromycin effective in the treatment of covid – what research says?
Every effort is being made to treat covid-19. But, the way the virus is continuously mutating, is a problem for both scientists and doctors. But these days the vaccines being used to protect against covid are proving to be most effective.
During the treatment of covid-19, some medicines were also given for prevention. In this, doxycycline and azithromycin have also been present. These medicines are used to prevent bacterial infection.
Recently research has revealed that these medicines doxycycline and azithromycin given to covid patients is not effective in dangerous infection. It cannot be used in severe conditions.
A better alternative by addition of Hydroxychloroquine +Azithromycin proves more effective than standalone Doxycycline
What is azithromycin and the Mechanism of Action (MOA)?
- This medicine is mainly used during infection, typhoid, eye, throat, and ear infection.
- It is also used during the nose, tonsils, sinus, lung, and bacterial infections.
- Azithromycin is an antibiotic that belongs to the class of macrolide antibiotics.
- This medicine inhibits the growth of bacteria by inhibiting the synthesis of essential proteins which is needed by the bacteria to carry out the necessary functions.
- This drug has been effective against other viruses such as Ebola and Zika. Also, this medicine is effective for infections like flu and cold. (Cavalcanti AB 2020, Sultana J 2020)
Efficacy of administering Azithromycin standalone in COVID patients
A report was published in the Journal of the American Association. It claimed that the effect of azithromycin on patients infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus was less visible. First, it also increased the rate of admission of patients and it was not very effective.
An ICMR official warned about the use of this drug in the year 2020. The reason was that heart problems may arise. Earlier azithromycin was given but it was not needed.
This medicine depends on the case. It can be given only as per the guidelines. Initially, this drug was being used to prevent covid, but it could also increase the risk of bacterial infection, so it was not considered inappropriate to give it. Here, there was a need for the introduction of Azithromycin + Hydroxychloroquine.
Azithromycin + Hydroxychloroquine – The Corona medicine
Corona medicine! The whole world is struggling with the crisis of Coronavirus. People are looking for medicine for corona. Amidst all this, two medicines are being discussed the most as a treatment to give instant relief.
Their names are hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin. This medicine is being treated in most countries including France, China, India, and patients are also recovering fast. Due to which many countries of the world including America, Brazil are demanding this medicine.
According to a study, Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin were given to 1061 patients, 98% of patients were cured.
In France, 1061 patients of Corona were treated with both these drugs for 3 consecutive days. When tested on the ninth day, 973 patients (91.7%) became completely infection-free.
The results also showed that there was no cardiac risk associated with this treatment and 98% of the patients were completely cured by its use.
Professor Didier Rault, a well-known infectious disease specialist at IHU Mediterranean Infection in Marseille, France, said that we did a study to find out whether hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin were effective drugs against corona.
Conclusion of the study for efficacy of Azithromycin + Hydroxychloroquine
- Rault said that after examining 59,655 samples from 3 March to 9 April 2020, we examined 38,617 patients for Covid-19.
- Out of this, 3165 patients were found to be corona positive.
- He told that we treated 1061 of these patients in our institute.
- The mean age of all patients was 43.6 years and 492 of these were male.
- When we were treated with this medicine for 10 days, we found that 973 patients were completely cured.
- No risk of cardiac arrest was found in any of the patients.
Pro. Rault said that of the remaining 88 patients, symptoms of infection continued for a long time in 47 patients, while 10 patients had to be kept in the ICU.
During this, 5 patients died in the ICU. While the remaining patients are kept under the supervision of doctors in the hospital itself till they recover.
The coronavirus which started from Wuhan city of China has wreaked havoc in every corner of the world. No country has escaped this.
After ration and vegetables, now the concern of the administration has increased regarding the storage of medicines. The data of these drugs has also been prepared after the fact that chloroquine, paracetamol, and antibiotic tablets given in malarial fever are effective in fighting corona.
The Drug Administration Department has made these three medicines available with them. These include hydroxychloroquine tablets given to patients with malarial fever, paracetamol tablets used in fever, and azithromycin given as an antibiotic.
Recently, it came to light that the drug chloroquine (Plaquenil) works effectively especially in the treatment of corona-infected patients. (Chaudhry ZS, et al 2020)
Dosage of Azithromycin
- Azithromycin is available as tablets and suspensions that can be taken by mouth, as eye drops, and as injections.
- Azithromycin tablets and syrup are to be taken by mouth with water as directed by the doctor and can be taken daily with food or even after meals. For best results, Azithromycin should be taken at equal intervals of time.
- Even if all symptoms are gone, continue taking azithromycin for 5 or 7 days without missing the dosage.
- Stopping the medicine abruptly can cause the infection to recur and relapse with a greater aggravation which can complicate the case
- You should ask your doctor or pharmacist for further questions by reading the patient information leaflet provided by the pharmacist
- The dosage and mode of administration of this medicine are decided by the doctor keeping in mind the following factors:
- Patient’s age and body weight
- Patient’s health status and medical condition
- Disease severity
- Response to the first dose
- History of allergies and drug reactions
Azithromycin Dosage for adults and children
- For adults: 500 mg for 3 days, every day. The doctor prescribes 500 mg from the first day. Prescribes as a single dose and then 250 mg for the next 4 days every day.
- Dosage for children: 5 mg to 20 mg daily and it is taken for 3 to 5 days depending on the weight of the child.
- Do not use this antibiotic unnecessarily as it reduces its efficacy.
- Getting nausea
- Upper abdominal pain
- Headache with chest pain
- Heartbeat fast
- Sore throat
- Dark urine
- Clay-colored stools
- unusual muscle weakness
Azithromycin Drug Interactions –
- It is not possible to list all the drugs that can interact with them. Therefore the patient should tell their doctor about all the drugs and products you are using such as blood thinners- warfarin, coumadin
- Tell your doctor even if you have been taking quinine for a long time.
- Antacids containing magnesium or aluminum also decrease the effect of azithromycin in the body. Hence it should be taken 2 hours before or after taking azithromycin.
- You should not receive any vaccines while using azithromycin unless your doctor tells you to.
- You should also tell your doctor about the herbal products you are taking.
When you start taking azithromycin, the effect starts within the first few days. But still, take the full dose as prescribed by your doctor so that the infection is completely eradicated from your body.