Did you know Urinary Track Infection (UTI) is considered one of the most common infections in the world! In the initial years of birth, it is seen more in boys. Over some time, the infection incidence rises sharply in girls and women. It is almost certain that we will have at least one person in our family who suffers from UTIs.
UTIs are also highly recurrent. This form of UTI is known as RUTI, Recurrent Urinary Tract Infection. In this article, we will discuss the efficacy of Ciprofloxacin in treating UTIs. Ciprofloxacin is a generic medication. It is commonly sold under the brand name Cipro. It belongs to the fluoroquinolones drug class.
Cipro is an antibiotic for effectively treating UTIs and various bacterial infections in the urinary tract, abdomen, skin, bone, and other types of disease. This antibiotic helps to kill the bacteria or makes it difficult to grow. Cipro is used to treat only bacterial infections and does not work with viral infections.
How To Take Ciprofloxacin?
- Do not chew, crush or break the tablet.
- Swallow the whole tablet with water.
- You can take this medication with or without eating food.
- For Ciprofloxacin in liquid form, shake the oral suspension for 15 seconds and measure it correctly with a medicine cap before each dose.
- Do not take milk, yoghurt and other dairy products or fruit juice while taking Cipro.
- Drink plenty of water after taking ciprofloxacin.
- Ensure that you complete the course of medication to see good results. Don’t stop, miss or overdose on the drug, as it can affect your health.
Forms And Strengths
Ciprofloxacin is available in a tablet, oral liquid and injection form.
|Oral Suspension||250mg, 500mg|
|Tablet||250mg ,500 mg,750 mg|
|Extended-release tablet(Cipro XR)||500 mg ,1000 mg|
Ciprofloxacin Dosages For Treatment Of Urinary Tract Infection
The dosage of Ciprofloxacin depends on the nature of the UTI. Uncomplicated UTIs require a milder dose and complicated UTIs need a stronger dose.
- Uncomplicated UTI: 250 mg or 500 mg every 12 hours for 3 days.
- Complicated UTI: 1000 mg once a day for 7 to 21 days.
How Long Does Ciprofloxacin Take To Work On UTI?
Ciprofloxacin starts working within 3 to 4 hours of taking it. A course of 3 to 4 days should suffice in tacking uncomplicated UTIs in young, healthy women.
If the symptoms are severe with health complications, it will take 7 to 21 days to feel completely normal. This is especially true in older women.
Is Ciprofloxacin Good For UTI?
Ciprofloxacin is considered a standard treatment for patients with UTIs. Cipro should be taken for UTIs as it is easy to consume and improves our health; it affects your body fast and takes 3 to 4 days to clear all the symptoms. It is also available at a cheap price of $4.06 and doesn’t have any severe side effects, except for healthy people.
Ciprofloxacin Side Effects
Common Ciprofloxacin Side Effects
- Stomach pain
- Vaginal itching and discharge
- Pale skin
- Unusual tiredness and sleepiness
Severe Ciprofloxacin Side Effects
- Difficulty in breathing or swallowing
- Worsening cough
- Swelling of face, eyes, mouth, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet or lower legs.
- Yellowing of skin or eyes and tiny blood spots on the skin
- Itching, hives, rash
- Decreased in urination
- Sudden pain in the chest, stomach, and back.
- Problem with the liver, kidney, or pancreas.
Points To Keep In Mind Before Taking Ciprofloxacin
- Avoid Ibuprofen and Naproxen with Cipro as it can cause bleeding and seizures.
- If you take this medication, you can take other medication after two hours.
- Don’t consume alcohol and caffeine while taking the medication.
- Share your medical history precisely with your healthcare provider.
- Do not consume Ciprofloxacin if you are planning a pregnancy or are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Similarly, a study on male animals indicated that Ciprofloxacin could harm fertility in males.
- A child younger than one year cannot use it.
- Do not perform any activity that needs alertness after taking medicine.
- Complete the course of medication.
- Consume a fresh, healthy, and nutritious diet.
- Drink a lot of fluids and water to flush out the bacteria.
- Ciprofloxacin may make your skin sensitive, so wear protective clothing, glares and sunscreen.
Storage and Disposal
- Store the drug at room temperature away from light and moisture.
- Don’t store the oral suspension in the refrigerator.
- Keep the medicine away from children and pets.
- Do not drain or flush the medication.
- Discard the medicine responsibly if it has expired.
- The pharmacist will give you an instruction guide whenever a refill of this medicine is provided. Ensure that you read the same.
- This medication may give you unwanted side effects, as listed above. It would be ideal to avoid taking this medicine out of the blue on a trip.
- However, if you are suffering severely and need to take the medication, make sure you finish the entire course of medicine.
What If Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) Doesn’t Work for UTIs?
Ciprofloxacin is prescribed for a maximum period of 3 months. If, for some reason, you do not feel right after three months, likely, Ciprofloxacin has not worked for you.
Here are some reasons why Ciprofloxacin has not worked for you
- The bacteria is stronger than Ciprofloxacin.
- Ciprofloxacin is not the right choice for specific bacteria.
- Your body is resistant to Ciprofloxacin.
You should then do a culture test of a swab of your vaginal fluids. This will help in finding out the bacteria variant you are suffering from. This will help in finding out which antibiotic will be correct.
Are There Any Alternatives To Ciprofloxacin?
Yes, there are also other antibiotics to treat UTIs. They are:
- Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim (Bactrim)
- Fosfomycin For UTIs
- Nitrofurantoin for UTIs
- Ceftriaxone for UTIs
- Cephalexin for UTIs
- Levofloxacin for UTIs
- Amoxicillin for UTIs
- Doxycycline for UTIs
UTI is a widespread illness. It can take place in women and men both. However, it is more common in women. Ciprofloxacin is an excellent medication to treat UTIs. It shows effects quickly. You will feel better within a few hours of taking Ciprofloxacin. It is essential to complete the entire course of this medication so that UTIs can be eliminated from your system.