About 60% of women suffer from UTIs once in their lifetime. UTIs can be easily treated by using antibiotics. Fosfomycin is a generic medicine. Its brand name is Monurol. It belongs to the drug class of Antibiotics. Fosfomycin was discovered in 1969 and approved by the FDA in 1996.
Fosfomycin or Monurol is an antibiotic used to treat lower UTI and Cystitis (Bladder Infection). It is a prescription based medicine. It works only on bacterial infections and does not work on viral infections. Fosfomycin is also used to treat prostatitis and urinary infection in men.
Precautions Before Consuming Fosfomycin
Keep the following precautions in mind before consuming Fosfomycin
- Allergy from specific medicines
- Children of age less than 12 years should not consume Fosfomycin
- Elderly patients should be careful as they tend to suffer from heart, liver or kidney issues
- If you are planning a family or are pregnant.
How To Take Fosfomycin?
Fosfomycin is available as an oral suspension and in powder form.
- Take a proper dose of medication as recommended.
- In case of powder, empty the pack and add ½ cup of sterile, cold water.
- Stir until the powder dissolves completely, and drink the medication right away.
- Don’t swallow this medicine in dry form, and don’t use hot water to mix the solution.
- Fosfomycin can be taken on an empty stomach or else 1 hour before or 2 hours after your meal.
- You can also consume it before bedtime after urination.
- Drink a lot of water after consuming this medication. This will help flush out bacteria through urination and help your bladder function normally.
Dosage For Treatment Of Urinary Tract Infections
Fosfomycin is used as a single dose medication. It does not have a daily dose schedule.
- Those above 18 years can take one sachet of Fosfomycin to treat UTIs.
- Teenagers between 13 to 17 years need to consult doc for the exact dose
How Long Does Fosfomycin Take to Work on a UTI?
The level of your infection and your overall health play a determining role in establishing how fast Fosfomycin will take to work. Generally, you should feel better in 5 hours. Antibiotics take 7 to 15 days to treat the infection, but Fosfomycin takes 2 to 3 days to show its effect. Only one dose of this medication is helpful and effective in treating UTIs; within 2 to 3 days, you can see speedy recovery and improvement in your health.
Is Fosfomycin Good For UTI?
Yes, Fosfomycin is a suitable and adequate antibiotic for UTIs. It is primarily prescribed for uncomplicated UTI (lower tract UTI) women. There is no stress of overdose, and only one dosage is enough to treat the infection. It is proven to show quick results. It effectively treats bacterial growth.
What If Fosfomycin Doesn’t Work for UTI?
If Monurol does not work for you, your bacterial infection must be severe and resistant to Monurol. You may need another more potent antibiotic.
Fosfomycin Side Effects
Common Side Effects of Fosfomycin-
- Sore throat, runny nose
- Nausea, Vomiting
- Dizziness, weakness
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Indigestion, upset stomach
- Abdominal pain or back pain
Severe Side Effects of Fosfomycin
- Faster Heartbeat
- Symptoms of rash, itching, or hives on the skin
- Difficulty in breathing
- Joint Pain
- Mild abdominal cramps
- Bloody stools (diarrhoea)
- Swelling of mouth, face, tongue, lips or throat
- Yellowing of skin
Important Considerations for Taking this Drug
- This medicine will make you sleepy. Do not perform any activity that needs you to be alert, such as driving or operating machinery.
- Please do not share this medication with others because it has only been prescribed for your current condition.
- Please don’t use the medication later for any infection until a doctor prescribes it.
- Keep your medical tests and lab appointment reports safe.
- Do not consume too much tobacco or alcohol while taking this medication.
- Store the medication in a cool and dry place
- Keep it away from light and moisture
- Keep it away from children and pets
- Don’t store it in the bathroom
- Discard expired medication appropriately
- Do not flush this medication
- Fosfomycin cannot be refilled.
- As this medication is in powder form, it is portable. All you need is half a cup of water, and you can consume it in one shot.
Are There Any Alternatives To Fosfomycin?
Popular alternatives to Fosfomycin are:
- Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim (Bactrim)
- Nitrofurantoin for UTIs
- Ciprofloxacin for UTIs
- Ceftriaxone for UTIs
- Cephalexin for UTIs
- Levofloxacin for UTIs
- Amoxicillin for UTIs
- Doxycycline for UTIs
As UTIs are common, Fosfomycin is a suitable medication for UTIs. It shows the quick and effective result on your body. On consuming Fosfomycin, you will feel better within 2 to 3 days. If Fosfomycin doesn’t work on you, the infection might be severe. You might need a more robust antibiotic alternative. The medication is safe to use for men, women and older adults.