Amidst the second wave of covid-19, Ivermectin was a vital part of health discussions conducted by professionals. Post analysis, the evaluation resulted in favor of Ivermectin; many states have already included this drug in the covid kit.
Experts from the UK, Italy, Spain, and Japan have also acknowledged the effect of Ivermectin. Researchers continue to praise its efficacy in combating single strand RNA viruses
The patient’s recovery rate also drastically increased with its efficacy. Even, some physicians consider prescribing Ivermectin to patients above 18 years with a 12 mg dose for five consecutive days.
Know how it was discovered
Ivermectin was discovered in 1975, which was launched officially for medical use in 1981. This drug is widely known as the world’s first endocytosis, i.e., anti-parasite drug. Experts believe that this medicine can be highly effective against parasites present inside and outside the body.
Followed by the year 1988, it was also used for a disease called onchocerciasis (river blindness). Researchers also praise its efficiency in combating anti-virus belonging to single-strand RNA viruses, including SARS-CoV-2.
What does the research say about this?
In the second wave of corona virus, the rapidly increasing figures of infected people remain a matter of concern. Many studies are held to control the rapidly growing cases of corona infection around the world. With an ongoing vaccination program globally, experts hope that a large world population will soon get a vaccine that protects against corona.
With that faith, a research article was published in the May-June issue of the “American Journal of Therapeutics,” stating the regular use of Ivermectin may significantly reduce the risk of covid-19 infection.
The authors have managed to conduct the study based on comprehensive data available collectively. In January 2021, the pilot study was led using 27 random controlled trials, out of which 15 attendants confirmed Ivermectin to be effective.
- Additionally, researchers claim that Ivermectin can not only neutralize the coronavirus, but its immediate effect can also prove to help keep the world safe from this epidemic to a great extent in the future. Let’s know about this.
- Another trusted research has found that the use of Ivermectin significantly reduced viral clearance with a lesser recovery time. Apart from this, the death rate also decreased immensely.
- Considering such positive response effective in treating Covid-19, professionals have emphasized its immediate use worldwide.
Experts are considering the drug Ivermectin to be effective.
Dr. Pierre Cory, President and Chief Medical Officer of FLCCC (Front Line Covid-19 Critical Care Alliance), has also conducted an inclusive survey on a similar drug. Based on the review and study of the data held at respective levels, we can say that the use of the drug Ivermectin may help to end this serious covid epidemic.
Dr. Paul E Maric, Founding Member of the FLCCC, suggests that Ivermectin may prove to be a particularly effective drug in treating covid-19. Recent studies were conducted to signify its importance which understood its benefits of holding the spread of infectious coronavirus (2500 patients recovered).
The Antiviral Research Journal
Recently Antiviral Research Journal published a study co-authored by Kylie Wag staff of Monash University, Australia, along with fellow scientists. The journal shares about ‘Ivermectin’ contribution in breaking the chain of a pandemic.
They continued by mentioning its ability to eliminate all viral RNA (ribonucleic acid), including coronavirus, in 48 hours. If the infection has affected less, then the virus can be eradicated in 24 hours. Additionally, this drug is also known as anti-parasite successful against all viruses like HIV, Dengue, Influenza, and Zika virus.
Domicile Research Results – The Domicile Republic of America shared about its reduction in mortality and infection time. And stated its judicial use in preventing corona infection.
How effective is Ivermectin for Corona?
If reports are to be believed, the third coronavirus wave might affect millions of people, especially children. To manage such a future crisis, healthcare experts might consider using Ivermectin tablets for its treatment and prevention. This tablet is also known to protect people who came in contact with corona-positive patients, making it less evident to turn positive.
How does Ivermectin work?
- Ivermectin inhibits the movement of infection proteins from reaching the nucleus cell, enabling RNA replication to stop and make them inactive. Due to its unique mechanism, it has become a trending research topic among many scientists.
- People infected with corona infection, who do not show any symptoms or have only mild symptoms, and those who come in contact with corona patients and can be given Ivermectin medicine.
- Ivermectin drug cannot be given to pregnant, lactating women and children below two years of age.
Dosage of Ivermectin Medicine
- Corona-infected person can be treated with one Ivermectin 12 mg (18 mg tablet if bodyweight is more than 80 kg) at an interval of two hours post meal at bedtime. Repeat it for five consecutive days along with doxycycline.
- Health workers looking after corona infected will be given Ivermectin medicine on the first, seventh and third day to protect them from getting infected.
Is self-medicating with Ivermectin safe?
A trend widely being observed among common people is self-medication. Many are ingesting medicines that are usually given to covid-19 patients in hospitals when they test positive or show symptoms of coronavirus infection. Such casual practice is often resulting into adverse reaction on physical well-being.
Therefore, it is always advisable to be under a doctor’s supervision. We have seen that people are mostly taking Ivermectin on their own.
In the last year, this drug has emerged as a possible option for the treatment of covid. However, as clinicians began to clear the blueprint for the treatment of a novel disease, the role of this drug was either reduced or restricted to a specific time period for one particular condition.
Pointing to the same trend, among all the drugs used, Ivermectin is leading the list. Almost half of the covid patients admit that they found relief from this pill.
How harmful can self-medication be?
As soon as people start feeling the symptoms of covid, or their test comes positive, they start gulping down medicines without having little understanding of whether it will help them or complicate the recovery process. So, consult the doctors before self-medicating.
This self-medication can affect the ordinary course of treatment, and patients may also face additional side-effects (which are not caused by covid), resulting in extended recovery tenure.
Case study of 32 years old woman
A 32-year-old woman from Apollo Gleneagles in the USA while diagnosis found that she was taking Ivermectin, without any doctor’s prescription. Later, the CT scan reflected her case to be ‘impaired Covid.’
Fearing from covid, she started taking the popular medicines that affected her health by loosening the valuable treatment time. So, we’ve learned that.
- The medicine and its duration are for a specific disease. Treatment without a prescription can be harmful.
- For example, dexamethasone, which is a steroid, can lead to osteoporosis, immunosuppression, and abnormal blood glucose, if taken for a long time.
- You should be very careful in starting the treatment on your own.
The US health regulator also warns on its website, ‘take any medicine to treat or prevent covid-19, only if your healthcare provider prescribes it, and purchase from a legitimate source.’
Consuming on its own can be fatal, as it may lead to abnormal heart rhythms or a dangerously rapid heart rate. Similarly, the parasite drug Ivermectin, according to the US FDA, can reduce the number of white cells in the blood and can also affect the liver, in addition to causing other common side-effects. So, consult your doctor before consuming medicines.
- Ahmed S, Karim MM, Ross AG, Hossain MS, Clemens JD, Sumiya MK, Phru CS, Rahman M, Zaman K, Somani J, Yasmin R, Hasnat MA, Kabir A, Aziz AB, Khan WA. A five-day course of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19 may reduce the duration of illness. Int J Infect Dis. 2021 Feb;103:214-216. doi: 10.1016/j.ijid.2020.11.191. Epub 2020 Dec 2. PMID: 33278625; PMCID: PMC7709596.
- Hellwig MD, Maia A. A COVID-19 prophylaxis? Lower incidence associated with prophylactic administration of ivermectin. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2021 Jan;57(1):106248. doi: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2020.106248. Epub 2020 Nov 28. PMID: 33259913; PMCID: PMC7698683.
- Vallejos J, Zoni R, Bangher M, Villamandos S, Bobadilla A, Plano F, Campias C, Chaparro Campias E, Achinelli F, Guglielmone HA, Ojeda J, Medina F, Farizano Salazar D, Andino G, Ruiz Diaz NE, Kawerin P, Meza E, Dellamea S, Aquino A, Flores V, Martemucci CN, Vernengo MM, Martinez SM, Segovia JE, Aguirre MG. Ivermectin to prevent hospitalizations in patients with COVID-19 (IVERCOR-COVID19): a structured summary of a study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2020 Nov 24;21(1):965. doi: 10.1186/s13063-020-04813-1. PMID: 33234158; PMCID: PMC7683865.
- Pandey S, Pathak SK, Pandey A, Salunke AA, Chawla J, Sharma A, Sharma S, Thivari P, Ratna HVK. Ivermectin in COVID-19: What do we know? Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2020 Nov-Dec;14(6):1921-1922. doi: 10.1016/j.dsx.2020.09.027. Epub 2020 Sep 28. PMID: 33032231; PMCID: PMC7521351.Ivermectin in COVID-19: What do we know? – PubMed (nih.gov) Accessed on 14/9/2021
- Sharun K, Dhama K, Patel SK, Pathak M, Tiwari R, Singh BR, Sah R, Bonilla-Aldana DK, Rodriguez-Morales AJ, Leblebicioglu H. Ivermectin, a new candidate therapeutic against SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2020 May 30;19(1):23. doi: 10.1186/s12941-020-00368-w. PMID: 32473642; PMCID: PMC7261036.Ivermectin, a new candidate therapeutic against SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 – PubMed (nih.gov) Accessed on 12/9/2021
- Bray M, Rayner C, Noël F, Jans D, Wagstaff K. Ivermectin and COVID-19: A report in Antiviral Research, widespread interest, an FDA warning, two letters to the editor and the authors’ responses. Antiviral Res. 2020 Jun;178:104805. doi: 10.1016/j.antiviral.2020.104805. Epub 2020 Apr 21. PMID: 32330482; PMCID: PMC7172803. Ivermectin and COVID-19: A report in Antiviral Research, widespread interest, an FDA warning, two letters to the editor and the authors’ responses – PubMed (nih.gov) Accessed on 16/9/2021