Metronidazole came into existence in 1959, and it was first used to treat bacterial infection by trichomonas. Years later, metronidazole gel was approved by the FDA on 30th June 2005.
Metronidazole gel is the Generic name, whereas Metro Gel Vaginal is a brand name. Metronidazole gel belongs to a comprehensive class of antimicrobial drugs known as nitroimidazoles.
Metronidazole gel has been a game-changer medication for treating vaginal infections, also known as an intravaginal treatment. Bacterial vaginosis is a joint inflammation of the vagina that is usually caused by the imbalance of the vaginal microflora. Naturally, some bacteria inhabit the vaginal environment as part of their normal microflora, and when their balance gets upset, this can lead to vaginal inflammation. This balance is subtle and dynamic, and it can be disturbed by many causes, such as hormones, unprotected sex, and too frequent douching. The role of some other factors like stress and diet are also being investigated as potential factors. Metronidazole gel helps in the treatment of bacterial vaginosis and is often used in everyday clinical practice.
Before Applying Metronidazole Gel:
Before applying any medicine on the skin or anywhere on the body, you should keep some precautions in mind and have a word with your doctor for proper guidance. Inform your doctor if:
- you are allergic to the medicine, or other drugs in general
- you are using other medications
- you are pregnant or about to get pregnant
- you breastfeed a child
Every new medication has potential side effects, so it is always recommended to consult your doctor before beginning a new treatment.
Metronidazole Gel: How to Use It?
Metronidazole gel is suggested for vaginal use only. It would be best not to swallow it or use it on your skin. Every drug comes with a detailed guide that informs you on using it and what cautions you should take. Read that carefully, and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask your doctor for any clarifications.
According to your doctor’s prescription, Metronidazole gel vaginal application should be applied once or twice per day for five days.
How to apply it:
- Use this medication only before bedtime.
- Keep your hands clean before and after applying the Gel
- Before using the Metronidazole gel, wash your vaginal area.
- Do not use a tampon when you apply the vaginal Gel.
- Always use the applicator provided to insert the gel into the vagina.
- Do not stop using the Gel abruptly; use it as recommended by your doctor
- Keep track of your symptoms and check if you see improvement or not.
- Do inform your doctor if the medication is not working for you.
Metronidazole gel medicine is not made for vaginal yeast infections, and it could even cause candida vaginitis. Talk with your doctor and ensure that this medication suits your condition.
Who Can Use and Cannot Use it?
Women older than 12 can use the Metronidazole gel to treat a vaginal bacterial infection. You can not take this medication if:
- You have hypersensitivity to metronidazole, parabens, or other drug ingredients.
- You have problems with your liver
- You have a vaginal candidiasis
Most antibiotics are safe to use with alcohol in moderation. Unfortunately, you can not mix metronidazole and alcohol, and it can increase the side effects.
Also, if you are pregnant or plan to get pregnant or breastfeed, you should consult your doctor before taking this drug and take it only if your doctor approves.
How to Fill The Applicator And Use Gel?
- Metronidazole gel comes with a set of applicators that are manually filled.
- The first thing to do is wash your hands thoroughly before using them.
- Once the applicator is filled with Gel, you should insert the applicator inside the vagina.
- Use a comfortable position to use the applicator (mostly getting knees towards self).
- Insert the applicator gently as far as it can go and feel comfortable.
- Once you reach the place, insert the Gel into it.
- Once you are done with it, then remove it slowly.
- Wash your hands once you pull off the applicator.
Do not exceed the dosage suggested by the doctor.
Getting The Most From Your Treatment
Before starting this new medication, consider some extra things to get the most out of your treatment.
- If you are on your period, do not use the medication unless you have taken suggestions from a doctor.
- If you do not want your infection to come back, use the medication as long as prescribed, and do not stop the treatment early.
- Do not have sexual intercourse while you are on Metronidazole gel medication.
- You might get an infection such as redness or itchiness on your vagina while on the medication process; if you have discomfort, inform your doctor.
Can Metronidazole Gel Cause Side Effects Problems?
Side effects differ from person to person. Not many people get severely affected, but there are a few common side effects when using Metronidazole gel. Have a word with your doctor if you experience anything of the following:
- Itching and irritation of the vaginal area or into the skin suggest a fungal infection.
- Mild headache: You can use suitable pain relievers for it.
- Nausea: You should adjust your diet and avoid fluid overtake.
- Stomach ache: Do not eat a heavy meal
How to Store Metronidazole Gel?
Do not expose the medication to light and sun rays. Do not keep the medicine in places with high humidity. Keep it at an average room temperature. Most importantly, keep away from kids.
What is the Right Duration of The Treatment?
For the medication to be effective, it is suggested to use it twice a day for 5 days unless your doctor consults you otherwise.
How To Buy Metronidazole Gel Online?
To purchase Metronidazole gel online, you need to have a doctor’s prescription that can be used to purchase online. You should present the prescription to the online pharma sites that sell the medicine. Different areas may sell the same products, so to find a reliable place, you can always do research before or take suggestions from the people who have already purchased online.
Metronidazole gel is the most common and effective treatment for bacterial vaginitis., You can only use Metronidazole gel after your doctor’s prescription. It is easy to use and has therapeutic effects in only a few days.